Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mama Always Said

My mother always said if you were on time, then you were actually late. Translation: arrive early, accomplish tasks early, etc. I’ll almost always arrive at least fifteen minutes early to an event and most of the time I get tasks done well ahead of a deadline. Sometimes I get rebellious and flake out or push it right up to the line, but not often. It’s not worth the stress to me.

So having said that, why am I always writing my Word Whores pieces on Friday night???

Not much else I personally can add to the topic but I found some terrific quotes:

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams
VS: Clearly not raised by my Mother.

The thing that would most improve my life is 27 hours in a day. I could meet all my deadlines. Yoko Ono
VS: I have a feeling if the hours of the day were expanded, the tasks and deadlines would expand correspondingly, but it’s a nice thought.

Deadlines aren't bad. They help you organize your time. They help you set priorities. They make you get going when you might not feel like it. Harvey Mackay
VS: Well, yes, Harvey has a point, especially when it comes to the day job stuff. But artificial deadlines are useless to me because I know I made them up, so I can unmake them. Now at the day job, on the other hand, we send stuff to Mars and let me tell you, the planets create serious deadlines. Mars won’t pause in orbit so a rover can get there if it missed the launch window. Miss your window for whatever reason and you’re going to wait two years before you can try again.

Without deadlines and restrictions I just tend to become preoccupied with other things. Val Kilmer
VS: I just wanted to insert a picture of sexy Mad Martigan here. You’re welcome.

I've never been good with deadlines. My early novels, I wrote by myself. No one knew I was writing a novel; I didn't have a contract. George R. R. Martin
VS: I read recently that the TV show might actually be catching up to him, as far as his getting the rest of the Game of Throne series written,
so he probably has deadlines now LOL. And sexy Sean Bean=>

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. Frank Zappa
VS: Sort of loved this quote in general!

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. Victor Kiam
VS: Ooh, put this on the wall for inspiration!

Better three hours too soon than a minute too late. William Shakespeare
VS: Pretty sure Shakespeare never met my mother but they were obviously on the same wavelength.

Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences. Robert Louis Stevenson
VS: Yup, don’t miss those deadlines, because:
There is an immeasurable distance between late and too late. Og Mandino

Tomorrow is nothing, today is too late; the good lived yesterday. Marcus Aurelius

Whilst we deliberate how to begin a thing, it grows too late to begin it. Quintilian

Which form of proverb do you prefer Better late than never, or Better never than late? Lewis Carroll
VS: My head is spinning…

And the last word, about the ultimate, unknowable deadline:
One always dies too soon or too late. And yet, life is there, finished: the line is drawn, and it must all be added up. You are nothing other than your life. Jean-Paul Sartre

1 comment:

  1. I'm always at least three minutes late, sometimes more. Your mother would have hated me! And I totally understand that people are annoyed by it. But I'm at peace with this about myself. If you hate it, you really shouldn't be my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete