Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Play Me A Tune & I'll Tell You A Story

Inner Cover of Erwin Schrott's Album "Rojotango"
I'm a big fan of using music to set the mood.  I have to feel the scene if I want it to come out right.  So, do I have playlists? Scads of them.

Sure, there are days when I wake up in the thrall of the scene and no music is required. But then I have to play music to celebrate completing the scene.  Something like P!ink's "Slut Like You."

Yes, yes there are those days when the music is a distraction not an aid. It doesn't take much for me to get distracted by lyrics, so when scenes are fighting me, I go for the instrumentals. I blame our Thursday Whore, Mrs. Pang for the long playlist of everything David Garrett.

When certain scenes refuse. to. be. written. I can't let silence reign. That's when 642 ideas for different books fill my head or how awesome it would be paint a dragon crawling down my fireplace.

How about you, dear reader, do you have a song or an artist guaranteed to get you a specific mood? What mood? What artist? What song?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...Breaking Benjamin gets me in the right frame of mind to write, my current MS anyway. Like you, different playlists for different types of scenes. How I love being a music whore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE BB! They're in rotation on my 3DG playlist.

      Delete