"The One Who/That Got Away"
That's the weekly topic. I'm pretty certain I could blog about specific instances for a good...year or two. 98% of the time the reason that someone or something got away was totally my fault. There's no sweet romantic shifting of blame to the Fates. There's no sinking to my knees in the middle of a rainstorm and shaking my fist at the heavens. Nope, I know the reason those people or opportunities slipped through my fingers.
When I was younger, I developed a list of reasons why I stepped out of the way of Opportunity:
- I didn't know how to pursue/engage
- What the hell would I do with it once I had it
- Someone else deserved it more
- Something better would certainly be coming next
- If it was meant to be mine, it would neatly land in my hands
Get the cattle prods. Light a fire. Pee or get off the pot. ...
Oh, dear reader, I find myself in need of more sayings to overcome my worst self-defeating habit. Leave me some of your favorites in the Comments, would you? You know, when you get 'round to it.