Thursday, July 17, 2014

Plots and Sundry

by Allison  Pang

I'm probably one of the worst people to ask about plotting, because for the most part I don't really plot much of anything. When it comes to books or short stories, I usually have some basic idea of how I want things to go, but the most I do is write a rough outline. Most of the time I don't even know what's going to happen until I get there, and sometimes I don't even know why things happen until I get to the end and *then* it all falls into place.

(And then I go back and edit. And re-edit.)

It's probably not the most efficient way to write and there have been times where I've tried to be a bit more organized, but success has been limited overall. Sometimes I think if I spend too much time on the idea and write down all the little details, I tend to lose interest in telling the story.

That being said, when it comes to my webcomic, I do tend to write up a more detailed storyline - mostly because it's a joint venture and even though Aimo and I are pretty good at knowing how we want to put things together, it's still just good manners to make sure I'm not stringing my artist along with last minute plot changes.

OOO

As an aside note, today is my last post as an official Word Whore. I'm turning in my corset for now - and just want to thank the readers and my fellow Word Whores for all their support and fun over the last few years. My decision to leave is simply based on a number of "real life" factors, but I'm confident I'm leaving the site in good hands.

:)

2 comments: