Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014 Resolutions: New & Improved...ish


Happy New Year's Eve!  Cheers to fountains of bubbly and choruses of noise-makers!

My Writerly Resolutions for 2014? Well, I'll take one from Jeffe and one from James then ...
  1. Read More & More Broadly -- I resolve to read at least one entire book a week. Entire. No matter the number of books I chuck by page 50, I will find and finish at least one book a week.  The genres of the books I read will be more diverse. I will read books newly published and long since forgotten.
  2. Take Control of My Career -- Since I believe in the rich opportunities afforded a Hybrid Author, I will self-publish at least two novels and shop two others to traditional publishers. I will step up to the plate for marketing and sales.
  3. Finish the Damn Books -- While 2014 promises to be a year of editing (see #2 above) I will finish, publish-ready finish, two novels. This means I will better manage my time and my distractions. I will accept there is no such thing as the Perfect Story and cease obsessive tweaking.
I may be reaching a little far or not far enough.  I've no idea. I can assure you that self-publishing anything is intimidating. My analytical brain is having fits over ROI while my creative half is terrified of formatting fuckups. As for the stories themselves ... well, it doesn't matter which publishing route one takes, the reviews will be what they will be.

So, there you have it, dear readers. Once I sober up from a highly carbonated evening, I shall have to put my ass in gear and do something new. What about you, dear reader? What is something new you resolve to do in 2014?

1 comment:

  1. Love the "ish" LOL. Self publishing is fun IMHO....of course I use the wonderful Formatting Fairies for my formatting because I can't format a thing :-) Write yes, format, no. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete