Sunday, May 5, 2013

Conversation Snippets from #RT13

I had this vague idea that I would write this blog post ahead of time - before I left for the RT Convention.

Ha.

Then, I thought, oh - I'll do it sometime during the week, when I have some down time.

Ha!

So, here I am, about to fly home and writing up this post about overheard conversation that makes it into books. Fortunately a readers and writers conference is ripe for eavesdropping. I don't have the brainpower to think about the whole "transforming it into literary dialogue" aspect, but I do have some great lines.

"I'm really more of a visual eavesdropper."

"I get drunk and pitch other people's books - what is WRONG with me??"

"But does the little boy *have* to be deaf?"

"What's my book about? Fighting, fucking and fireballs." (This last from Kailynn Jones, who got six manuscript requests after we told her she should absolutely use this "joke" line when pitching.)

"Every time I read about people having sex on the beach, I'm just imagining all those intimate places and getting sand out - know what I mean?"

"Do you have a card?"
"A credit card?"
"No! A business card."
"Oh, I thought you wanted me to pay for your drink!"

"Hey! That champagne bottle is to be shared with the WHOLE table!" (Accompanied by seizure of said bottle and placement of it next to her plate.)

"There are not enough gifs in the world to express the state my inner 13 year-old fan girl was in."

"I just met [insert any number of names here] - I was so excited I may have squirted."


Yeah....it is that kind of conference.

See you all on the flip side!





10 comments:

  1. ROFL... thanks for sharing that. I'm living vicariously through all my conference-going writer friends. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! And looking forward to my own first con this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We'll look forward to posts. And you were there in SPIRIT.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it was all fun! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! *waves madly* I love that pic of us. And I totally wanted to steal your hat. Still do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh - you can borrow my hats any time, Miss Linda. :D

      Delete
  5. Ha! Great eavesdropping! Wish I could have seen it, but sounds like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very fun - but it's true, seeing is believing!

      Delete