Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Brainstorming. (kazaaam!)


 
1.) With whom do I brainstorm?

        Currently, no one. :-(

2.) When?  

        I have been guilty of brainstorming in the past, but not so much lately. Except for my collaborator on my super sneaky secret project. But that was brainstorming about a work we will both work on...not the random help you give/recieve from a CP on his/her work or your work which you will not be co-writing with them. 

3.) Why?

         I have no critique partner.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have a CP with whom to talk plot, to help them and be helped by them. The process of brainstorming is FUN. I play devil’s advocate like a pro. (mwahahahaha) I can ask questions that help unearth tidbits of character development hiding in the shadows and haul those possible qualities right out into the bright daylight—and illuminate their ramifications. I love asking tough questions, linking subplots, and exploring the possibilities.

In short, I think I’m pretty damn good at brainstorming.

Most newbie authors who ask me this or that about their ideas may hear my questions, but the meaning and possibilities behind them do not get very deep into their thoughts and consideration. These authorlings have strong ideas (often very viable ones) already in their head. These ideas are often immovable and they block the questions I ask. They want to hear their idea is valid more than they want to deepen their conflicts. That’s okay.  I understand that they want to talk about their ideas, but are often simply not open to processing options that vary their original idea. Again, that’s cool, I don’t get upset or try to browbeat them. It takes some time to get used to this writer gig, and to juggle all the options that your own creativity throws at you, let alone out of the blue ideas someone else offers up. It’s just that that closed-off-ish-ness takes the fun outta the experience for /me/. And I do like to have fun.


I would enjoy having a like-minded UF-ish critique partner (not a minion...really...a partner) who has a few professional sales notched on his/her studded leather belt, and site that criteria only
because it means he/she will have worked with an editor before. Working with an editor helps grease the wheels of that open-mindedness (and gently shows your ego out of the room) so that  you can see your idea evolving via the thoughts of a critique partner.

But there is one requirement I would absolutely insist upon, {ahem, KAK!} I do demand: chocolate sharing. I mean, if this brainstorming occurred on the phone, both parties having a bowl of ice cream or a mudslide milkshake handy certainly suffices. But should the opportunity of brainstorming in person occur, well, divvy that rich deliciousness up ‘cause I want my share.



3 comments:

  1. I do a lot of my brainstorming with my husband, and he's not a writer. Sometimes I just need to bounce back ideas and he's the most readily available. I know to stop when his eyes glaze over, though!

    And your comment about chocolate is funny, since I told my husband I reach for the peanut butter first. Although once you mentioned that mud slide, I want one, now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~looks up from fortress of gluttony~

    Just call me Smaug of the Easter Chocolate

    ~evil laugh, roar, fire snort~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I agree that the bouncing ideas off non-writers--and beta readers--is a valid option. But having access to a knowledgable CP is like all the perks of a convention in one package--and if theres a friendship there to boot, even better. :)

    Smaug of the Easter Chocolate...beware! Those fire snorts WILL melt your chocolate.

    ReplyDelete