Monday, October 15, 2012

WATCHING OUT FOR BLACK CATS ON LADDERS

Superstitions in our characters. Hmmm.

I can't think of a character that I write that is superstitious. Maybe it's because I'm not superstitious. I mean I believe in luck but pretty much only the good kind. I hate black cats, but I hate all cats kept as pets. (It's true. Cats are of the devil.)
(except this one. this one is cool.)
(This ones not bad either)


But I don't carry lucky charms, I don't worry about broken mirrors, I don't do any of that.

But now that I am thinking about it there is a thing in my life called Tattoo Voodoo. It's pretty simple and it's more Murphy's Law and less superstition.

The components of Tattoo Voodoo are simple.

If someone gets a name tattooed on them of a spouse or a girlfriend/boyfriend then that relationship is doomed. *
If you want a slow day to take it easy and relax, the shop will be super busy.
If you need the shop to be super busy, it will be dead.
If you are not busy and you want to be, then start tattooing on each other or start a big art project you can't put down easily and someone will walk in.

These things always work. Mostly.

But I digress. Back tot he writing. Now that I am contemplating the superstitious I think I will write a superstitious character. It will be fun. Hmmmmm. Maybe in my Lovecraft Mythos based urban fantasy. That should be a fun addition. A character who holds to his own dumbass superstitions about doing something to ward off bad luck when all kinds of elder god hell is falling around his ears might be a cool twist.

Thank you Word Whores. :)


* (9 times out of 10 if someone is getting a name on them that is for a romantic relationship, it is done as a desperate "I love you so much and this is how I am going to prove it" move when things begin to go tango uniform. So that plays out true.)

No comments:

Post a Comment