Sunday, May 31, 2015

Local Reader/Writer Cons to Attend!

Last week, to celebrate the release of THE TALON OF THE HAWK, I also released a prequel story to the series, NEGOTIATION, and set it to free. You can still download it free for a couple more days!

Our topic in the Bordello this week is Three Reader or Writer Cons/Events Near You (that you'd recommend). Love that Calendar Queen KAK tacked on "that we recommend." I've bitched about cons I hated before, so it's good to focus on the love.

Also, I'm going one step further and suggesting four!

Bubonicon

2015 will be Bubonicon's 47th year! Held annually in Albuquerque, New Mexico, usually at the end of August, Bubonicon is a Science Fiction and Fantasy reader convention. It's organized in part by some of the fine folks at Page 1 Books, who hosted the Standing Room Only signing I did with Darynda Jones yesterday. (Or, as I like to see it, that she did with ME.) Bubonicon attracts many of regionally local SFF authors - a surprising density given the relatively sparse populations of our big square states - like George R.R. Martin, Connie Willis, Stephen R. Donaldson and Melinda Snodgrass, to name only a few. This year also sees long-distance guests Tamora Pierce, Mary Robinette Kowal and Catherynne M. Valente. At $40, the registration fee is dirt cheap and the organizers generously do not charge their featured authors to attend. Highly recommend. August 28-30, 2015. Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Reading Until Dawn

I confess I have not attended Reading Until Dawn before - because this is the first year! However, I've met organizer Casey twice now, at the Coastal Magic Convention (which I also love, but it's not near me) and when she and two of her buddies road-tripped down from Denver yesterday to attend our signing. Her whole concept is to create a low-key atmosphere where readers and authors can hang out, mingle and have real conversations about books. At $85 for the weekend, this is also very affordable to attend. I'm looking forward to it! October 8-11, 2015. Denver, Colorado.

Sirens

Okay, I haven't been to the Sirens conference before. I only heard about it last fall at the World Fantasy Convention (also great, a movable feast that so far has not moved near me). (Also WFC - foolishly, to my mind - uses a different URL every year, so that's the 2014 link.) Amy Boggs, SFF agent at Donald Maass Literary Agency told me about it. I was all fired up to go to this all-female Fantasy convention, also held in Denver - until I found out it's the dead-same weekend as the aforementioned Reading Until Dawn con. ALAS! Still, I'm a woman of my word and, though sorely tempted to renege, I'm going to RUDC instead. (Though I'm totally sneaking out at some point so I can meet Kate Elliott and Thea Harrison for drinks!) This one is pricier - $195 now and $230 at the door. Still the attendees and programming look amazing. October 8-11, 2015. Denver, Colorado.

Enchanting the Page

Every-other year my local chapter, LERA, hosts a very small, one-day conference, Enchanting the Page. This is always a stellar day of workshops, discussions and pitches. This year we have Alexandra Sokoloff giving her awesome workshop on Story Structure, along with editor Brenda Chin and agent Laura Bradford. At $85 for members, $95 for non-members, plus an optional $25 for the pizza and movie night - where Alexandra will walk us through the screenwriting tricks used in a major blockbuster film - it's a great value for the aspiring writer. November 7, 2015. Albuquerque, New Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving the topic this week! I find it very difficult to find cons and then to know if they are worth the time and effort.

    Denver is pretty easy for me to get to, I am going to have to check these out!!

    ReplyDelete