Monday, November 25, 2013

The Milestones, The Millstones.

I get it. I appreciate the idea of celebrating milestones. I do. I can fully understand.

And like Jeffe, I really don't do it.

Here's my reasoning. I have two jobs. Barista, writer. I have one career. Writer.

I am thrilled whenever I have a new story or book that I sell. Couldn't be much happier. Sold a story? Awesome! That latest book just came out and I get to hold it in my hands? Make sure no one is looking and I might even do a victory dance. Maybe.

But most likely I'll give myself a little time to smile and look at the pretty cover and then it's time to moved on.

Bills to pay, you see. And Like Jeffe, I don't like to celebrate my wins with food. Most of the things I would celebrate with are, frankly, out of my price range.

So I allow myself a moment, and then it's back to work. And maybe once a year I take a little time for myself and call it done.

it might be because I've been at this for a while (decades, people) or it just might be that I'm a curmudgeon. Instead of celebrating the small victories of my life (sales, publications, completing a manuscript) I prefer to celebrate life in general with good friends, family and an occasional movie.

As I have said before, I am not exactly a party animal.

Should you celebrate? Absolutely. Just don't go too crazy.

That's all for now. Time to get back to work.

Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines….



No comments:

Post a Comment