Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Yes, yes, yes!


Does the kissy stuff belong in sci fi and fantasy?

If there are humans in your story, I say yes.  If there are human-like characters, probably still a yes.

Certainly some stories do not need a romantic element as a plot point. But EMOTIONS are part of us. Emotions MOTIVATE us. Even if hate drives your main character or your antagonist, it is the absence of love and compassion and I daresay there must be some memory of loving deeply and having lost it to spur that much hate.

I don't go out of my way to find sex scenes to read, but I am not skipping over them in the books I read. (Unless they are just poorly done.) I'm not afraid of reading or writing one, if the story warrants it for some good reason. So again, yes, the kissy stuff belongs.

You may write a heroic tale where there is no kissing, just soldiers fighting and winning the day, but it would be my wager that they are fighting for something, for those they love, and through that the memories of and the longing for the kissy stuff makes it way into character...and there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment