Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Don't Say I Never...


No, really, don't say, "I never." Someone will dig up an instance in which you did--in fact--do it. My three examples:

1) Head Hopper
Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time knows my #1 pet peeve as a reader and a writer is head-hopping. That wasn't always the case. I used to be Team: Your Book, Your Voice, Your Way.

I'm totally going to blame that particular super-stupid on being a novice. I was so committed to the Team, that I wrote a romance series involving shifters that exemplified what not to do with POV. In my pitiful defense, at least I didn't change POVs mid paragraph.

Should anything ever be published under my name with head-hopping shifters, you'll know I was Harper Lee'd.

2) Self-Publishing
Back in the days of yore, when aspiring authors still queried via snail mail and sent fulls via UPS, I swore I'd never self-publish.

Fast forward to June 1, 2015.

Yep. If only I'd gotten the stick out of my butt years earlier...

3) Write a Short
It's not that I have anything against short stories or novellas, it's that I'm not at all good at them. The tragic evidence of said truth sits in a few contest vaults, possibly under the header "Worst Entry Ever." I swore I would never attempt them again.

However.

The marketing side of my brain says, "yeah, but, shorts work well as a low price point introduction to a series of full-lengths."

So, that Never might be coming to visit me on the wings of an edible crow sooner than later.

There you have it, dear readers, 3 reasons to never say, "Never."  Care to share your Nevers?

No comments:

Post a Comment