Monday, June 22, 2015
Top five Pathetic Excuses for Not Writing
To quote Britney Spears, "Oops, I did it again."
Sorry, folks. deadlines are crushing me. These are basically going to be quick responses and apologies for things like last week when I completely forgot.
And, moving on:
Okay, so this week we talk about why people don't write. As in the top reasons for not writing. I'm going to respond to that.
1) "I'd like to write novel, if I could ever find the time."
Yeah. What the hell is found time? I'm not Doctor Who. I have no TARDIS. I MAKE THE TIME. Since I started writing I've worked a full time job every week, excepting only vacations, one month where I was unemployed and there months when I was forced to remain off my feet as a result of knee surgery.
Again, and with feeling, I wrote a full novel in three weeks, while taking are of my ailing wife and working a full-time job. Because I wanted it. because I STILL want it.
You have time to watch a movie? Watch a few shows? Catch up on your Video games? You have time to write.
My frequent co-author Charles R. Rutledge does MOST of his writing in the hour after he gets out of bed. I know at least three separate writers who have been published professionally on numerous occasions who do most of their writing on the subway or train into work every day.
2) "I don't know where I'd begin."
At the beginning. Duh. Next!
3) "I have kids. I have no time. I have a spouse, I have no time."
Kids: Most of them go to school. The ones too young for school have to take naps. I don;t care if they're ADHD. Make them nap anyway. It's called "Downtime of the parental unit." There's 45 minutes of free time. Work with it. The spouse? Thank GOD for spouses! They can watch the kids during your one hour of "me time" every day.
Also, there are several members of this board who can tell you how hard it is to work with kids, and yet, here they are, published. So, yeah....
4) "I don't know how to write."
There are books for that. And editors. Next!
I used both. Still do.
One other writer I know would simply respond with, "Cool. less competition for me." Said author doesn't really believe in completion. Said author believes that the more writers, the better, but has ZERO tolerance for quitters. Yes, I said quitters.
5) "I could never make a living that way."
Yeah. Neither can 98% of the other would be writers. Want to know who succeeds? The other 2% Hey, maybe I'm being a pessimist and it's closer to 10%. What do I know? I'm a writer.
You want it bad enough, you'll get there. I'm not really usually this bark, but, again, deadlines. You know, for stuff I sold.
You want to make excuses, kindly get out of the way and let the serious writers come on through. Does that sound mean? Wait'll you get your first rejection letter, cupcake. (Yes, I'm being snarky. It's what I do.)
I'd like to hang around and chat some more, but I need to get back to the 6,000 word minimum I have to take care of today, before I can take a break.
I could make excuses, but I'd rather follow my dreams. Sometimes that requires sacrifice and hard work. Okay, most times. Constantly. It's not just a job, it's a career.
Below, please find several reasons as to exactly why your excuses are wasted on me.
Posted by James A. Moore
I write fiction, a little of everything and a lot of horror. I've written novels, comic books, roleplaying game supplements, short stories, novellas and oodles of essays on whatever strikes my fancy. That might change depending on my mood and the publishing industry. Things are getting stranger and stranger in the wonderful world of publishing and that means I get to have fun sorting through the chaos (with all the other writer-types). I have a website. This isn't it. This is where you can likely expect me to talk about upcoming projects and occasionally expect a rant or two. Not too many rants. Those take a lot of energy. In addition to writing I work as a barista, because I still haven't decided to quit my day job. Opinions are always welcome.