Tuesday, December 16, 2014

5 Books -- Some Old, Some New in 2014

5 Books that stuck with me long after I'd closed them...well, it's a mix of release dates. Some are old, some are older, and some were newly released in 2014. All were new to me.

1. Maid of Deception by Jennifer McGowan -- It's the second book in a YA historical series about a group of young female spies in service to the newly-crowned Queen Elizabeth. Each member of the troupe has a particular strength. The Maid of Deception is one known for her stunning beauty and the ease with which manipulates men. What makes darling Beatrice unique, is that she and the Queen despise each other almost as much as they need each other. It turned out to be quite the historical romance involving Scottish rebellions and arranged (and re-arranged) marriages.

2. Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig -- The first in the Miriam "I Foresee How You Die" Black series. I bought this book long after I'd followed him on Twitter. Truly a case of a sale driven by social media. If you like non-linear paranormal thrillers, then Miriam is your potty-mouthed gal.

3. Gods of Asgard by Erik Evensen -- It's a great graphic novel highlighting the Norse myths. The stories follow the more popular translations of the Prose Edda. Wonderful artwork.

4. The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan -- Ads for the TV show drove me to read the book first. Well, that and the insistence of my brother in law that I read it before I see it. I much preferred the book (because I liked the way I interpreted the characters better than the TV show. I'm picky like that). Don't know that I would have bothered with the book if I had seen the show first.

5. Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens -- First book in the "Banned and Banished" series. Yes, yes, the book is 15 years old. That's the great thing about great fantasy ... it's ageless and waiting to be rediscovered. It's a Chosen One story with a female protag. I liked it enough to hunt down the next two books...and I'm pretty sure there are two more after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment