Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ebullient Past, Ebullient Future

Is this the face of an ebullient man?
Ok, so the "e" words are happier than the "d" words but I have never uttered or written the word ebullient before in my life. I bet I could have gotten to the age of 130 without ever uttering it but noooooo...it's our word of the week here.

OK, so the immediate mental picture I get of ebullience personified is Teddy Roosevelt, not that I ever met the man. (Just to be clear…)

There is an alternate, archaic definition of the word, according to  Google: "boiling or agitated as if boiling". The example is a rather poetic "misted and ebullient seas", which I like. No idea where they got the example from. So Teddy Roosevelt could have been ebullient while sailing the ebullient seas with his Rough Riders on their way to fight in the Spanish-American War.

I decided this was my favorite quote from him:
“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.”

Although as an author, I kind of like this one:
“I am a part of everything that I have read.”

Continuing on, because despite all his accomplishments, including being the 26th President and receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, Mr. Roosevelt can’t be the only master of ebullience I discuss today (can he?) I found eight poems that contain the word ebullient. My favorite was “Fragment of an Ode to Canada” by Duncan Campbell Scott, where he describes the heart of Canada as being both titanic and ebullient. Yay for the Canadians!

But the jackpot seems to be a song entitled “Ebullient Future”, which has multiple videos on youtube and might be an anime series? It appears to be a rather dark tale actually, going by a lot of the videos people had uploaded, so I picked the one that was most upbeat version to end with here:


No comments:

Post a Comment