Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Naughty, Naughty

by Linda Robertson

This week we are talking about books we are ashamed to admit we like/own. I could say that I'm most ashamed of owning the issue of Playgirl in which Stephen Pearcy of Ratt appeared...but that is not a book. And I haven't seen that particular magazine since 1989. I think my mom might have found it and did the typical parental discard maneuver. 
(FYI, I would not be ashamed to own a Playgirl...just ashamed that I liked him. Looking back, I think my vision is better now than it was as a teen.) 

So I scanned my bookshelves, asking myself, what on here would I be loathe to admit is present?

I honestly get rid of books I don't like. So that was difficult to answer.

So my answer must be Anita Blake. I bought everything in Laurell Hamilton's series--at least up until Cerulean Sins. I think perhaps Micah came out after that...and I have that in paperback. I hated it. The type was big, the book thin, and I felt like I'd been had. (Also, doing Micah in the shower using soap as lube screamed yeast infection to me. It was not sexy. I guess Anita is magically immune to those.) 

Cerluean Sins might have been the 'just one more' buy. The Anita stories were no longer about a mystery that could be unraveled by raising a zombie, but that's what I liked about them. I realize that Anita's character journey took over the plots and sex scenes became a central focus. I realize that Laurell is the Grande Dame of our genre. And I realize she has sold very very well.

But I wasn't her audience anymore.

I became disenchanted with the Anita books at Cerulean Sins. I still have the books, as most of them are signed. (I remember being particularly giddy as I apprached the table where Laurell was signing at a con--I'd waited in line for hours--and all I could think of to say to this, my hero at the time, was: "I wanna be a writer when I grow up." :-/ I was probably at least 30 then. *facepalm*)

I'm certainly not knocking her; she did great things for this genre. It's simply that she wasn't writing the stories I was looking for anymore. They didn't satisfy me as a reader. I know, I know. Millions disagree with me. I'm okay with that.

I've had friends tell me she's brought the mysteries back. But I haven't bought anything of hers since. 

Once bitten, perhaps? 

heh heh heh...

4 comments:

  1. Shhh, you're going to get that song stuck in my head. I haven't thought about RATT in years and I don't think I ever wanted to see any of them in the pages of Playgirl. Maybe Brett Michaels of Poison before he got old and gross, though. ;o)

    You guys are really throwing out names I've never read but that I probably should have. I think when I was making my list of to-reads I missed Laurel K, but she should be on there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hit List" brought Anita and Edward back together and only ONE sex scene (and no, it wasn't with Edward). I felt like I was reading her older stuff and loved it! But I understand the "once bitten" part. It's hard to trust someone who has disappointed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the Anita books.the first 5 rocked! It was the second paranormal author I tried, the first was Twilight so big shift. I read up till the last two...too much crazy sex. I also couldn't keep up with all the characters. But boy, those first few were awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the LKH library - which then abruptly ended at the exact same place. I gave her some rope with both series and won't ever go back. sigh.

    ReplyDelete