Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Got the Day-Job Blues

Before I was published, and during the first years after, I was basically a stay-at-home mom. I used to write around housework, yard work, the kids, the dog, and lunches with friends.

Ah...the good old days.

Now I can't recall what leisure time is.

I work 40+ hours a week at a factory--I'm subject to the occasional mandatory overtime. Plus I'm back in the band. So there is practice time at home, and rehearsals, and eventually, gigs that pay. I write a weekly blog here. I still have the chores and errands like everyone else. And copy edits are coming.


How do I do it?


 1.) I juggle. I juggle frantically like a clown at the circus, as if my job(s) depend on it, because they all do. Procrastination is not allowed. In fact, working ahead is strongly encouraged. Never a dull moment. No rest for the wicked. All that.


 2.) I sleep less than I used to. Bags under my eyes, wrinkles, and caffeine are the new norm.


 3.) Organization, planning, scheduling. It's all arguably part of #1, but without an organized plan on what to juggle when, and the juggling would be too random. Nothing would get done.


I long for the days when I had more time to write, more time to...everything. I'd love to not have the day job, but I do and I like it very much. 


1 comment:

  1. OMG, that is a massive day job! I'm doubly impressed at what you accomplish with a 40+ hour factory gig. Go, Linda!

    ReplyDelete