Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guest Post: Red Dwarf

Hey guys - Allison again - and yes, I'm still working away on revisions, so I'm continuing the guest post fun with my friend Simon Larter.

(To be honest, though, I *REALLY* wanted to make a post this week...because I would have completely focused on anime. As favorite foreign TV shows go, the Japanese completely own my heart, and even though I would love to wax poetic on the awesomeness that is Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo or Hellsing or Fushigi Yuugi or Tiger and Bunny or even freaking Star Blazers...alas, I really can't. But maybe when I've got a few moments in a week or so, I'll post about them on my own website...)

*ahem*



So without further ado, here's Simon:

Simon C. Larter is a New Jersey based writer of flash fiction and short stories, who’s slowly working his way up to novellas and novels. He can be found online at simonclarter.com, on Twitter, and other social media havens. He can be found offline at your local dive bar, most likely.
It’s kind of cheating for me to write this guest post, since I wasn’t born in the US, and didn’t move here until junior high. I mean, all of my favorite shows growing up were, by definition, non-US. Long live the BBC!

Er….

Still, since my parents were pleasant luddites who only let us watch cartoons and Blue Peter (it’s not dirty, I promise) for a half hour a day on the 9” black and white telly in the cupboard off the kitchen, most of my television viewing was done in the U.S. of A., so I have to look to my adult life for the true non-US favorites. It’d be too easy, though, to default to Monty Python’s Flying Circus or Benny Hill. So I think the current frontrunner, for pure, cheesetastic amusement and ludicrous silliness has to be…
Red Dwarf

They don’t make ‘em like that any more, do they, folks? And, thankfully, the entire run of Red Dwarf is available via your friendly, neighborhood internet video rental places.

You can thank me later.
***
Oh, and since Allison’s swamped in edits at the moment and asked me to fill in for her, I’m going to go ahead and pimp my most recent publication. Where better than the Word Whores blog, right? Ri-ight?

Right.

See, I have a story in the Space Battles anthology from Flying Pen Press (along with multi-Hugo Award-winner  Mike Resnick, Hugo Award nominees Brad Torgersen and Patrick Hester, and Philip K. Dick Award nominee Jean Johnson), and if I can prove I’ve been responsible for selling 100 copies of the thing, the editor, Bryan, will buy me a bottle of vodka of my choice. It’s even written into my contract!
So why not check the announcement over at my blog, here? And if you do feel led to buy the antho on my account, send me some kind of proof, won’t you?

‘Cause I really could use that vodka. It’s hard out here for a pimp.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the publication, Simon! And Allison - excellent restraint on your part. ~gives Allison a cookie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, "Wrong time of the month calendar." Yep, that'd be an excellent excuse to drink that primo bottle of vodka.

    Congrats on hobnobbing with the HUGOs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! And what, no cookie for me, Jeffe? O.o

    ReplyDelete